Monday, September 23, 2013

Too Early to Give Up

A lot of wild things have happened in this first few weeks of the season but it is definitely too early to start giving up on players. There are definitely some players who have stood out and are currently playing out of their minds but will soon come back down to earth. For example, Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers started the season off great with 22 and 29 points in each of the first two weeks, but finally came back to his old self yesterday with only 11 points in standard scoring leagues. Because of his success, Eddie Royal became a superstar WR over the first two weeks but definitely can't keep up that pace all year long. I would be surprised to see either one of these players in the top 10 at the end of the season in their respective positions.

There are some players who have started off the year slow but who I wouldn't be too worried about. Many may have used an early round draft pick on Arian Foster and may be starting to panic at the moment with his lack-luster performances for the first 3 weeks. However, we know that Arian (when healthy) is an elite back and is just starting to get his legs underneath him after sitting out the preseason. Even with Ben Tate sitting in the wings and starting to take touches from Arian, I'm still not too concerned with his start to the season. There are only a handful of players I would trade Arian for at the moment. However, if you're in a league where Arian's owner isn't too savvy, I would make a run and trying to get him via trade for a RB who is having a wonderful start to the season but who we know can't keep it up (aka DeMarco Murray or Knowshon Moreno). Even though Kubiak has insinuated more a time share, Foster's touches have only been diminished by 2.5 touches. Tate has only had 9 carries a game for the first 3 weeks. I wouldn't be too concerned!

In the QB position, I'm in a league where someone dropped Russell Wilson from Seattle due to his poor performances in the first two weeks. I picked him up before the weekend and was handsomely rewarded yesterday for his stellar performance. It was WAY too early to give up on a top 10 QB, even for the likes of Philip Rivers (see above). Another QB who you should look to trade for is Tom Brady. He has two rookie WRs on the outside who are just getting used to the speed of the NFL and will start to perform for the Patriots sooner or later. Gronkowski is also close to coming back to provide Brady with his favorite target. Buy low with Tom Brady. There will be high rewards later on down the line in the thick of the season.

About the six week mark is a good time to start analyzing which players are busts and which ones are stars. Hang in there and have patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment